- October 2, 2019
- Posted by: Eva
Mobile app localization is the process of customizing your app to work in different languages other than the default one. It is not only a process of adapting your app to a particular language but also modifying it according to the culture and the preferred look-and-feel of your specific target market. Businesses around the world are competing in a global market. So, with the rapid proliferation of the internet and access to mobile phones, different companies are now realizing the importance of localizing their mobile apps according to their target markets.
To take advantage of these benefits, you need to start planning your mobile app localization today. Your best shot is to hire a localization agency that is professional and experienced in managing and automating your localization workflow in a way that best suits your needs. EuroLingo follows three simple steps of mobile localization that can help you capitalize on the increased use of mobile apps worldwide.
- Create Strings: Retrieval of translation strings is the most important step when you get started with the localization effort. The best way to set about it is to utilize unique string identifiers that help prevent any unpremeditated translation errors. Importantly, it is strongly advised to carefully edit and review the strings for any mistakes, since they are the foundation of your subsequent translation efforts.
- Translate: This is the most crucial and time-consuming part of the localization process. Translation includes adapting and localizing the text from the source language into the target language and then making sure that the content is properly displayed. Other technical features such as screen size, user interface, text, icons and content should also be considered.
- Select a Translation Management Tool: Once you are done with the first two steps, the last step is to choose a translation management tool. In order to optimize costs, streamline your workflow and seamlessly complete your project, you need to ensure that the translation management tool is in line with the overall requirements of your project.
As with many areas of your business, success normally lies in researching, mapping out a good strategy, and then setting out a plan of action. Here are 8 basic steps to get started with your mobile app localization.
- Deciding your app localization strategy: It is not a wise strategy to simply select popular languages and concentrate your localization efforts on them. A clear understanding of your project is a must for a successful localization strategy. The two main approaches available in the market are deep localization and minimum viable localization.
- Define the scope: It is always a good idea to appropriately define the scope of your project. We recommend testing the market potential by localizing your listing on the app store and evaluating the traction. If you receive a good response, you can start with minimum viable localization. You can begin by localizing the important user manuals and content. However, if you receive a massive response, you can switch to complete localization of your social media, landing pages, and marketing content.
- Choose your translation partner:
When it comes to the vital phase of selecting your translation partner, you need to choose a translation agency that has, over the years, developed a reputation for accuracy, top quality, industry-specific expertise, and fast turnaround.
- Internationalize your app: Mobile app internationalization is the process of customizing your code so that it’s ready for localization and able to be modified and released for your target audience in multiple languages, regions, and cultures. The simple steps to follow are to extract UI string from your app code and then make multiple resource files and translate the text in each file. Now, whenever a user opens your app, the operating system of the smartphone will refer to the language resource file that suits the user’s settings.
- Prepare reference material: Providing reference material to your translators, helps them understand the meaning of the source text. You can prepare a translation glossary and style guide that would make the translation consistent and set a tone for your content.
- Use a translation management system: If you hope for a seamless localization process, then you need to switch to a translation management software solution (TMS). You can look for specific features that are helpful such as cloud-based collaboration, the ability to integrate with other content management systems, flexible use of translation memory, etc.
- Communicate with your translation partners: Communicating with your translation partners is very important, as you need to ensure that they are given references and provided with maximum context. You should also have lengthy discussions with them to avoid possible errors.
- Test the translations: Localization is a complicated process and in order to be sure of your translation, you have to run an on-device localization test – which is to request a local to use your app to identify glitches.
Eurolingo makes mobile app localization easy, quick and affordable. We can make your complex telecommunication technology look easy to new markets – with fast, effective and reliable localization. With hands-on experience of working with several reputable brands, we make sure that we assign the best tools and resources to guarantee your success in your target market.
We make sure that your assets and content are translated along with the accurate modification of your branding, so as to deliver the right message from the start. We take pride in exceeding the expectations of our customers, who strongly believe in us. At Eurolingo, localization is what we do best.
The future of localization starts here. Contact us to get a free quote.