- September 26, 2019
- Posted by: Eva
- Category: Blog
In reply to the common question of whether desktop publishing is an art or job, the answer is simply “both”. Desktop publishing is the use of a computer to produce high-quality documents containing text and graphics formatted for a single-page publication. It’s used, for example, to create printed material such as newspapers, books, brochures, fliers, comics and other items that are printed or electronically published.
The advantages of multilingual desktop publishing include, but are not limited to, enhancing the appearance of page layouts through balancing the contrast, color and space along with customizing document according to the specific business and target audience. Besides, any business, small or large, can outsource DTP if they don’t want to do it internally.
Why is DTP important?
Desktop publishing translation is not only about making documents, after translating, look great, but it’s very important for a number of reasons, including:
·Reasonably priced: Thanks to being cost-effective, multilingual desktop publishing can be used by graphic designers, small business owners, freelancers, website owners, and others.
·Available to all: Before the 1980s, desktop publishing was the job of only trained designers, but that changed with the introduction of such software as Aldus Pagemaker, the Mac computer and a Postscript printer.
·Enhancing communication: Multilingual desktop publishing helps to improve visual communication and organize the process of distributing information of all types.
·Preparing files for printing: Thus, ensuring that files print properly so that communications get out in a timely manner.
Which Industries Need Multilingual Desktop Publishing?
Multilingual desktop publishing is becoming vital for any company looking to expand overseas. Basically, any industry that involves the design, production/construction and marketing of any product or service may need multilingual desktop publishing services. However, the following are some of the industries that can’t do without desktop publishing services:
- Heavy machinery design and production
- Medicine and pharmaceuticals
- Consumer electronics
- Global logistics
- International marketing
Multilingual Desktop Publishing for Beginners
One of the special things about desktop publishing is that it can be practiced by non-specialists, and has therefore evolved fast to become the job which many people everywhere are aspiring to do. Yet, since DTP is still a complicated skill, let’s give beginners a few tips about it:
A desktop publisher has to ask himself or herself a few questions: where will the documents he or she is creating be used in their final format? Is it a physical newsletter that will be mailed out, or an online catalog, or an article to be published on a corporate website? Will the content be published in several formats? For documents delivered entirely via the Internet, you may consider developing the document in an HTML editor like Adobe Dreamweaver or the free PageBreeze software. You can write HTML documents in Microsoft Word, but the final results can be inconsistent — they will look great in Internet Explorer (a Microsoft product) but may not look right in Firefox or Chrome.
As for documents to be delivered in printed form, you have more choices. Text-based documents without a lot of graphics can be developed in Microsoft Word. Yet, when you have a lot of graphics, you should opt for a more complicated software tool like Adobe InDesign.
Graphics and photos that will be used in your content will have certain requirements according to the final format. Printed materials should include graphics that are at least 300 dpi to ensure that the images look clear and clean in print. As for the Internet, it has different standards: images are generally only 72 dpi because this is fine for display on computer screens and the smaller file sizes download faster. However, a standard approach to desktop publishing is to always have high resolution files on hand so you can use them for either print or web.
3-Formatting the Layout
You can keep information organized and consistent from page to page by use of a grid. Two and three-column grids are the most popular for catalogs, newsletters, and similar documents; but you will need to decide the number of columns based on the look you desire, as well as the amount of content and pages you will produce. Also, extra or important information can be differentiated through the use of boxes and borders.
Since the cost of full color printing is often just as affordable as black and white printing, based on which printing company you use, designing in color is almost always a must today. Take care of the following:
· Keep the amount of colors to a minimum.
· Make sure that these colors are consistent with your brand colors
5-Font & Typography
A desktop publisher should be using the appropriate fonts and typography. Following are a few rules:
· 10-12-point font is generally the smallest you want to go for lengthy body text (which are more than 2-3 sentences).
· Use sans serif fonts for headings and titles. These are easy to read in large print with short phrases: Arial and Helvetica are the most common examples.
· Use serif fonts for body text: Times New Roman is the most common example.
· Try not to use script fonts at all unless part of a special graphic like a signature, title, or brand.
· Avoid using more than 2-3 fonts on a single page. Titles and headings are one font, body text a second, and special cases for a title or signature for a third font.
6-Uniquely Named Styles
You shouldn’t use the styles that Word provides as standard, as you have to create your own standards. Use your client, project, company, or some other identifier when creating styles in Word. Once you have your uniquely named styles set up, assign them quick keys and be extra speedy AND consistent when formatting your documents.
7-Consistency Is Paramount
Consistency, which is the repetition of specific elements in a document in order to help align viewers’ ideas into a uniformity of the central idea of the document, is highly important for the following reasons:
- It pulls together the ideas of the viewer and unifies his or her thoughts.
- It makes it easier for the viewer to read the material.
- It helps connect the separate parts of multiple-page publications.
8-Auto-numbering Isn’t Recommended
You can use auto-numbering if you work alone or if you are the last formatter before the document is published. However, if you are working with a large team, particularly if they are on different machines with possibly different operating systems and versions of Word, then you have to manually number your document.
9-Speed Is a Must
To deliver fast, you have to:
1. Use shortcut keys – all those built-in standards such as copy, paste, and undo.
2. Create your own toolbar.
3. Macros are another great way to speed up standard actions.
10-Double Check Your Work
It’s recommended that you get someone else check your work.
Why Desktop Publishing Services from EuroLingo?
EuroLingo is one of the leading providers of world-class dtp translation and localization services in Eastern Europe. Moreover, when it comes to Desktop Publishing Services, EuroLingo stands out from the crowd with a number of advantages that include:
· We offer a variety of desktop publishing services that give your documents a feel and look that is professional, eye-catching, and, at the same time, reflecting your brand.
· Our DTP translation services include, in addition to translation, typesetting and layouts, whereas our graphics production include content tagging, data conversion, XML publishing, and infographics.
· Every member of our desktop publishing services team has years of experience in creating, editing, and analyzing documents and working with global businesses to create an image that is in-line with the individual needs of the customer.
· Our desktop publishing services utilize an extensive array of innovative DTP Tools that allow our multimedia designers to format and create documents and graphics of unparalleled professional quality.
Contact us to know more information about our unique desktop publishing services and get a free quote.