- May 10, 2023
- Posted by: euro-lin
- Category: Blog
In this article, we will show you how to add subtitles to your YouTube videos. We will cover everything from creating a transcript to uploading your subtitles. So, grab your laptop and let’s get started!
YouTube is a great platform to showcase your creativity, share your thoughts and connect with people from all over the world. However, not everyone can understand the language in which you speak, making it difficult for some viewers to fully enjoy your content. Adding subtitles to your videos can solve this problem and make your content accessible to a wider audience.
Why Should You Add Subtitles to Your YouTube Videos?
Before we dive into the steps, let’s take a look at why you should add subtitles to your YouTube videos. Here are some of the benefits:
- Accessibility: Subtitles make your videos accessible to a wider audience, including people with hearing impairments, non-native speakers, and those who prefer to watch videos with the sound off.
- Better Understanding: Sometimes, it’s difficult to understand what a person is saying due to background noise, strong accents or speaking too fast. Subtitles can help viewers better understand what is being said in your videos.
- Improved Engagement: Subtitles can also increase viewer engagement with your content. If a viewer can read along with your video, they are more likely to watch it to the end.
- SEO Benefits: Adding subtitles to your YouTube videos can also improve your video’s SEO. Subtitles help YouTube understand what your video is about, which can result in more views and higher rankings.
How to Add Subtitles to Your YouTube Videos
Now that we’ve covered the benefits of adding subtitles to your YouTube videos, let’s get started with the steps.
Step 1: Create a Transcript
The first step in adding subtitles to your YouTube videos is to create a transcript. A transcript is a written version of everything that is said in your video. You can create a transcript by listening to your video and writing down everything that is said.
If you don’t want to create a transcript manually, there are many tools available online that can do it for you. Some popular options include Descript, Happy Scribe, and Rev.
Step 2: Format Your Transcript
Once you have your transcript, you need to format it correctly. YouTube accepts subtitles in various file formats, including .srt, .sbv, and .sub. The most common format is .srt, so we will use that for this guide.
To format your transcript as an .srt file, you need to follow these guidelines:
- Each subtitle should be no more than two lines long
- Each subtitle should be no more than 42 characters per line
- There should be a maximum of two subtitles per screen
- Each subtitle should be timed to appear on the screen at the correct moment in your video
Step 3: Upload Your Subtitles to YouTube
Once you have your transcript in the correct format, it’s time to upload your subtitles to YouTube. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your YouTube account and click on your profile picture in the top-right corner.
- Click on “YouTube Studio” in the drop-down3. Click on the video you want to add subtitles to.
- Click on “Subtitles” from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click on “Add Language” and select the language of your subtitles.
- Click on “Upload Subtitles” and select the .srt file you created in Step 2.
- Review your subtitles and make any necessary edits.
- Click on “Publish” to save your subtitles.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully added subtitles to your YouTube video.
How can Eurolingo help in adding subtitles to youtube videos?
Eurolingo can be a useful tool for adding subtitles to YouTube videos. Here’s how you can utilize Eurolingo for this purpose:
- Transcription: First, you’ll need to transcribe the audio content of your YouTube video. Eurolingo can assist you in transcribing the speech accurately by converting spoken words into written text.
- Translation: If you want to provide subtitles in multiple languages, Eurolingo can help translate the transcribed text into various languages. This feature is particularly helpful for reaching a wider audience and making your video more accessible to viewers around the world.
- Subtitle Creation: Once you have the transcribed and translated text, you can use Eurolingo to generate the subtitle files. Subtitles can be created in formats like SubRip (.srt) or WebVTT (.vtt). These subtitle files can then be uploaded to YouTube.
- YouTube Subtitle Upload: After creating the subtitle files using Eurolingo, you can head to the YouTube Studio, navigate to the desired video, and access the “Subtitles” section. Upload the subtitle file for each language you want to include, and YouTube will associate the subtitles with your video.
Remember to proofread the generated subtitles to ensure accuracy. Machine-generated translations may have some errors or inaccuracies, so it’s crucial to review and correct any mistakes before finalizing the subtitles.
Eurolingo can save you time and effort in the process of adding subtitles to YouTube videos by automating the transcription, translation, and subtitle creation steps. However, it’s always a good idea to review the subtitles manually to ensure quality and accuracy.
1. How long does it take to add subtitles to a YouTube video?
It depends on the length of your video and how quickly you can create a transcript. Once you have your transcript, formatting and uploading your subtitles should take no more than 10-15 minutes.
2. Can I add subtitles to an existing YouTube video?
Yes, you can add subtitles to an existing YouTube video by following the steps outlined in this article.
3. Do I need to provide subtitles for every language?
It’s a good idea to provide subtitles for as many languages as possible to make your content accessible to a wider audience. However, if you’re unable to provide subtitles for every language, prioritize the ones that are most commonly spoken.
Adding subtitles to your YouTube videos can make them more accessible and inclusive. It can also improve viewer engagement and SEO. By following the simple steps outlined in this article, you can add subtitles to your videos in no time.
So, next time you upload a video to YouTube, don’t forget to add subtitles. Your viewers will thank you for it!